List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 of 26261
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
Blackwoods Campground - Site Furnishings
Structure Number:
59774
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
No records.
Park:
Acadia National Park
Historic District:
 
Historic District
No records.
Structure State:
Maine
Structure County:
Hancock
Region:
Northeast
Cluster:
New England
Administrative Unit:
Acadia National Park
LCS ID:
747840
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Entered - Documented
National Register Date:
06/29/2007
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
Local
Short Significance Description:
Blackwoods Campground is locally significant under Criterion A for its association with the New Deal programs and the CCC, and under Criterion C as a fine example of NPS Rustic Design constructed during the New Deal era.
Long Significance Description:
The Blackwoods Campground is significant for its association with the 20th-century movement to develop national parks for public enjoyment, and is a reflection of the principles and practices of rustic park landscape design used by the NPS and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), and retains characteristics developed during the New Deal era. The campground is significant not only as an individual landscape feature, but also as a component of the larger development of Acadia National Park, the first national park established east of the Mississippi River. The period of significance for Blackwoods is 1935-1948, encompassing the major period of construction of the first phase, Loop A.

The Acadia NP campgrounds and picnic areas were constructed by the CCC on land donated by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. and in accordance with a prototype developed by the NPS in a 1937 master plan. Blackwoods Campground is an early automobile campground located on 160 acres of Acadia’s wilderness just west of Otter Creek, along the eastern coast of the island. The location of the campground was chosen for its proximity to the mountains and the ocean, its close relationship to the village of Otter Creek, and its visual and physical isolation from residential areas. Due to funding limitations and the interruption of World War II, only one section, or “loop”, of the ambitious original plan of three loops was completed by 1948.

At Blackwoods Campground, stone and log barriers were historically used to define all campsites and circulation routes. The barriers that have survived are located at the end of a row of individual parking spurs. Earlier rustic gates have been replaced by modern utilitarian steel gates, but the entrance gate, consisting of two massive boulders with steel rings and a chain that flanks the entrance road, dates to the historic period. Water supply taps are placed strategically around the campground.
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year CE/BCE
End Year
End Year CE/BCE
Designer
Designer Occupation
1. 
Built
1938
CE
1948
CE
NPS
Other
 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
Campground/Picnic Area
Primary Current Use:
Campground/Picnic Area
Structure Contains Museum Collections?:
No
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
1. 


 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Other
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
1. 
Superstructure
Metal
2. 
Superstructure
Stone
3. 
Superstructure
Log
Short Physical Description:
Stone/log barriers located at end of individual parking spurs, partially buried to simulate natural appearance; entrance gate constructed of two large boulders with steel rings leaded in place on which chain is fastened. Water supply taps 2 1/2 to 3 feet high with common hose bibs and a gravel pad.