List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 of 26261
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
Cadillac Mountain Summit - Service Roads
Structure Number:
59810
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
No records.
Park:
Acadia National Park
Historic District:
 
Historic District
No records.
Structure State:
Maine
Structure County:
Hancock
Region:
Northeast
Cluster:
New England
Administrative Unit:
Acadia National Park
LCS ID:
752546
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Determined Eligible - SHPO
National Register Date:
09/18/2008
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
Local
Short Significance Description:
Contributes to Cadillac Mountain Summit, which is significant under Criterion A for association with Community Development and the Origins of Acadia NP, in the area of entertainment/recreation, and under Criterion C for association with Rustic Design of the NPS in the area of landscape architecture.
Long Significance Description:
The Cadillac Mountain Summit is significant under Criterion A for its association with the context identified in the 2007 MPDF, "Community Development and the Origins of Acadia NP (1890-1937)," in the area of entertainment/recreation. It is locally significant for its development as a major visitor destination and developed area in the park. The construction of Cadillac Mountain Summit Road beginning in 1928 and the subsequent construction of visitor facilities, walkways, and overlook trails made possible unprecedented public access to the mountain and its panoramic views and vistas. The summit is also significant under Criterion C for its association with the context identified in the MPDF as "Rustic Design of the National Park Service (1916-1958)," in the area of landscape architecture. It is locally significant for its retention of rustic design features and characteristics as implemented by the NPS, the BPR, and the CCC. The design and construction of these features effectively illustrates the harmonization of built features with the park's natural scenery.

The period of significance for the Cadillac Mountain Summit begins in 1928 when the BPR finalized the alignment of Cadillac Mountain Road, and continues through the early 1930s when the Motor Road was open for traffic, pedestrian circulation features were constructed, and visitor facilities were built. The CCC installed and maintained additional trails, service roads, and plantings through 1941 when they helped build a military radar station complex at the site. The period of significance ends in 1942 when the CCC converted the 1934 Cadillac Tavern into barracks for the station.

A service road was built in 1934 that led from the motor road to the site of the newly built Cadillac Tavern. The tavern was located below the middle peak, uphill from and to the west of the summit parking area and ranger station, and the service road branched off the motor road to the west of the tavern site. It continued to be used to access the site when the tavern was converted into barracks in 1942 for the radar station complex built just to the south, and after a radio transmitter complex was erected near the tavern site in the 1950s. A second service road, situated north of the summit overflow parking area, led north briefly along the old carriage road and then northwest to a septic field that serviced the 1930s comfort station situated adjacent to the ranger station.
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year CE/BCE
End Year
End Year CE/BCE
Designer
Designer Occupation
1. 
Built
1934
CE
1942
CE
NPS
Other
 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
Vehicular Circulation
Primary Current Use:
Vehicular Circulation
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
No records.
 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Road
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
1. 
Superstructure
Stone
2. 
Superstructure
Earth
Short Physical Description:
Two gravel service roads: first splits east from non-historic fire road and heads up a hill to the radio transmitter complex; second is situated north of the summit parking area and heads north briefly along the old carriage road, then northwest to a septic field. Roads inconspicuous in landscape.