List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 of 26261
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
Seawall Campground - Garage
Structure Number:
60043
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
1. 
Ranger Garage
2. 
Navy Garage
Park:
Acadia National Park
Historic District:
 
Historic District
No records.
Structure State:
Maine
Structure County:
Hancock
Region:
Northeast
Cluster:
New England
Administrative Unit:
Acadia National Park
LCS ID:
748277
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Entered - Documented
National Register Date:
05/29/2007
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
Local
Short Significance Description:
Seawall Campground is locally significant under Criterion A for its association with the New Deal programs and the CCC, and under Criterion C as an excellent example of NPS Rustic Design constructed during the New Deal era.
Long Significance Description:
The Seawall Campground is significant for its association with the 20th-century movement to develop national parks for public enjoyment, and is a reflection of the principles and practices of rustic park landscape design used by the NPS and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), and retains characteristics developed during the New Deal era. The campground is significant not only as an individual landscape feature, but also as a component of the larger development of Acadia National Park, the first national park established east of the Mississippi River. The period of significance for Seawall Campground is 1935-1942, beginning with the preliminary investigation of the Seawall area as a potential Recreational Demonstration Project (RDP) in 1935 and ends in 1942 when the physical work of the CCC was completed.

The Acadia NP campgrounds and picnic areas were constructed by the CCC on land donated by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. and in accordance with a prototype developed by the NPS in a 1937 master plan. Seawall, developed as an RDA by the depression-era submarginal lands program, is an early automobile campground, part of which was built to accommodate the increasingly popular trailer camper (Loop C). The campground occupies 120 acres along the coastline of the Gulf of Maine, south of Southwest Harbor, on the western side of the island off of Route 102A. Seawall Campground takes its name from a naturally occurring barrier of granite rocks that forms a characteristic “seawall” along the Gulf of Main approximately ¼ mile to the east. By September 1937 two loops of the campground had been completed; the Loop B comfort station was built 1938-1939, and by 1942 the trailer loop comfort station and the checking station were completed.

The Garage, built in 1941 with the Ranger Residence (lcs id # 748261), shares the Rustic stylistic features with, and is located adjacent to, the residence.
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year CE/BCE
End Year
End Year CE/BCE
Designer
Designer Occupation
1. 
Built
1941
CE


NPS
Other
 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
Secondary Structure (Garage)
Primary Current Use:
GENERAL STORAGE
Structure Contains Museum Collections?:
No
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
1. 
Equipment/Vehicle Storage
Historic
 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Building
Square Feet:
500
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
1. 
Foundation
Stone
2. 
Walls
Wood
Short Physical Description:
The Garage is a simple one-story building with a pyramidal roof.