List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1  20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 of 26261
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
Blackwoods Campground - Road System
Structure Number:
60125
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
No records.
Park:
Acadia National Park
Historic District:
 
Historic District
No records.
Structure State:
Maine
Structure County:
Hancock
Region:
Northeast
Cluster:
New England
Administrative Unit:
Acadia National Park
LCS ID:
747763
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Entered - Documented
National Register Date:
06/29/2007
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
Local
Short Significance Description:
Blackwoods Campground is locally significant under Criterion A for its association with the New Deal programs and the CCC, and under Criterion C as a fine example of NPS Rustic Design constructed during the New Deal era.
Long Significance Description:
The Blackwoods Campground is significant for its association with the 20th-century movement to develop national parks for public enjoyment, and is a reflection of the principles and practices of rustic park landscape design used by the NPS and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), and retains characteristics developed during the New Deal era. The campground is significant not only as an individual landscape feature, but also as a component of the larger development of Acadia National Park, the first national park established east of the Mississippi River. The period of significance for Blackwoods is 1935-1948, encompassing the major period of construction of the first phase, Loop A.

The Acadia NP campgrounds and picnic areas were constructed by the CCC on land donated by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. and in accordance with a prototype developed by the NPS in a 1937 master plan. Blackwoods Campground is an early automobile campground located on 160 acres of Acadia’s wilderness just west of Otter Creek, along the eastern coast of the island. The location of the campground was chosen for its proximity to the mountains and the ocean, its close relationship to the village of Otter Creek, and its visual and physical isolation from residential areas. Due to funding limitations and the interruption of World War II, only one section, or “loop”, of the ambitious original plan of three loops was completed by 1948.

The Blackwoods Campground Road System consists of the ca.-1940 entrance road, which leads from Route 3, just southwest of the village of Otter Creek, about 4,200 feet SE until it meets the central open "camp court," around which the campground is organized. Campsite loop roads A & B radiate from this court. Loop A, constructed beginning in 1938, is accessed by a one-way perimeter road. Two groupings of three lateral roads connect Loop A to the campsites. Parking spurs and links, designed to confine vehicles to a defined area and thus reduce damage to the surrounding landscape, allow auto-tent and trailer campers to pull in and out of a defined site. And pedestrial pathways run near the roadways.

In the 1970s the last 1,700 feet of the entrance road was widened from two to three lanes to accommodate increased traffic queues.
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year CE/BCE
End Year
End Year CE/BCE
Designer
Designer Occupation
1. 
Built
1938
CE
1948
CE
NPS
Other
 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
Vehicular Circulation
Primary Current Use:
Vehicular Circulation
Structure Contains Museum Collections?:
No
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
1. 
Automobile
Current
 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Road
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
1. 
Superstructure
Concrete
Short Physical Description:
Road System consists of ca.-1940 entrance road, which leads from Route 3 to a central "camp court;" a 1-way perimeter road that accesses Loop A road from camp court to 2 groupings of 3 lateral roads, which in turn lead to parking spurs & links at campsites; pedestrian pathways near roads.