List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 of 26261
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
Lincoln Tavern
Structure Number:
ABLI-07
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
No records.
Park:
Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historic Site
Historic District:
 
Historic District
1. 
Lincoln Boyhood Home
Structure State:
Kentucky
Structure County:
Larue
Region:
Southeast
Cluster:
Appalachian
Administrative Unit:
Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historic Site
LCS ID:
473357
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Entered - Documented
National Register Date:
11/15/1988
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
Contributing
Short Significance Description:
The Lincoln Boyhood Home complex is significant under criteria A for its role in Larue County tourism and under criterion consideration F as a commemorative monument and its place in Abraham Lincoln iconography.
Long Significance Description:
The complex is one of two major commemorative monuments in the county which are directly associated with Lincoln's life and one of four sites in the country associated as Lincoln's place of residence. The complex was completed in 1933 and has been a major tourist site in the county since its construction. In the past fifty years the complex has assumed its own historical value as a commemorative monument as the site of Lincoln's boyhood home.

In the early 20th century Larue County became a center for Lincoln memorials and artifacts. Lincoln's birthplace south of Hodgenville became a national site in 1916 and as roads improved during the 1920s thousands of tourists traveled to the county to visit his birthplace memorial. In 1933, the Lincoln Boyhood Home complex was constructed to take advantage of this tourist trade and honor the site of the home of Lincoln's family from 1811 to 1816. Located adjacent to U.S. Highway 31E, this tourist attraction became a well known stop between Bardstown and Hodgenville and continues to be a major tourist attraction in the county. Since its development in the early 1930s few major changes have occurred to the buildings and site.
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year CE/BCE
End Year
End Year CE/BCE
Designer
Designer Occupation
1. 
Built
1932

1933



 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
Specialty Store (Shop)
Primary Current Use:
Wayside Exhibit
Structure Contains Museum Collections?:
No
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
1. 
Restaurant (Bar, Lounge)
Historic
 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Building
Volume:
2,000 - 20,000 cubic feet
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
1. 
Roof
Shingle
2. 
Walls
Log
3. 
Other
Concrete
Short Physical Description:
The Lincoln Tavern is a one-and-one-half story log and concrete, symmetrical plan, five bay building. The exterior consists of unhewn logs with saddle and V-notching and concrete chinking. The building rests on a hollow core concrete block foundation and has a hipped and gable roof.
Long Physical Description:
The Lincoln Tavern (photos 1-6) is a one-and-one-half story log and concrete, asymmetrical plan, five bay building. The exterior consists of unhewn logs with saddle and V-notching and concrete chinking. The building rests on a hollow core concrete block foundation and has a hipped and gable roof of composition shingles. On the west facade is a prominent limestone block chimney.

On the main (south) facade (photo 1) is an entrance with original double doors of multi-light glass and frame design. Windows are triple and paired four-over-four sash on all facades and in the gable dormers at the roofline. Across the central bays of the main facade is an original one-story shed roof porch with unhewn log posts. At the rear (north) facade (photo 2) is a one-and-one-half-story original wing with an interior brick chimney and attached one-story shed roof porch with a metal standing seam roof. Windows on this facade are two-over-two and four-over-four sash with the exception of a fixed multi-light window in' the east bay.

The interior of the building (photos 5 & 6) consists of a large open room on the main block of the first floor containing a gift shop and in the rear wing are separate restrooms and a kitchen area with most original fixtures intact. The interior retains exposed logs and concrete chinking on the walls, exposed rafters at the ceiling and original wood floors. On the west wall is an arched fireplace of limestone blocks. A notable feature of this room is the original wood bar (photo 6) located along the north wall of the room. The half-story consists of separate residential space for the owner.